Thursday, June 9, 2011

Jewel's 2011 puppies

Jewel had her puppies on a Wednesday night, June 8th. Four females and one male!! These are some very tiny puppies. In this picture, they were just born and still wet. She started pushing at 9:15 and had her first puppy at 10:00. With in an hour, she had had all five puppies. She had such an easy delivery. I was so relieved. I've experienced around 15 births and every time one of my mamas start contracting, I get nervous. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether they are in distress and need help and if the vet needs to be called. It can be very stressful for me, not to mention the dogs!! Then when it's over, I worry about the puppies eating and hope the mama doesn't lay on them. I've learned to let nature take its course. There is absolutely nothing you can do to get a puppy to nurse. They all seem to figure it out though.

No comments:

Post a Comment